Currently (as of 2011-2012) a $64 flat fee is assessed per student each semester with tuition. The Fee money is used to support the following Departments for student usage:
The Student Health Fee is a required fee included as part of the tuition for all registered students. (Note that exclusively online and off-site students do not pay the student health fee; however, they must first pay the health fee if they wish to access any services at UHS.)
The fee is paid each semester, and it allows Florida International University to fund various departments. These departments provide students with quality and affordable clinical, preventative, and mental health services at convenient on-campus locations.
For your convenience, University Health Services provides professional, accessible, and cost-effective primary care services to registered students at FIU.
FREE Services (covered by the Student Health Fee)
- Routine medical exams for illness and injury
- Physical examinations not requiring documentation
- Individual medical consultations
- Family planning consultations
- Health education; access to a resource library
- Screening for high blood pressure and other conditions
Also available for a nominal fee
are laboratory tests: strep screen, chemistries, blood count, mono test, cholesterol, urinalysis, pregnancy tests and others.
EKG Testing and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases, respiratory therapy, vision screening, pap smears, prescription and over-the-counter medications at the Pharmacy.
Immunizations: measles, mumps, rubella, hepatitis, influenza, tetanus, TB screening.
SERVICES NOT PROVIDED
- X rays and other sophisticated diagnostic testing
- Specialty physician care (i.e obstetrics, surgery, orthopedics, opthalmology, cardiology, gastroenterology, etc.) and dental care
- Emergency care after clinic hours
- Overnight infirmary services
If the above services are needed or requested, referrals will be made to several local hospitals, pharmacies and physicians. The student must assume financial responsibility for these services, as the Student Health Fee only covers services which are performed at the campus clinics. To help offset these costs, the University strongly recommends purchase of health insurance. Brochures describing special student health insurance plans are available at the University Health Services offices on both campuses or click Health Insurance.